What is Shared Hosting?
What is Shared Hosting?
what is Shared Web Hosting and simple answer – Shared hosting is a basic, cheap form of web hosting used by many companies. Shared hosting is good for publishing business websites or blogs that don’t receive large amounts of traffic. It can be a cost-effective way to get your website online.
This article explains what shared hosting is, to help you understand whether it’s right for your business.
Shared Hosting : how does it work?
Shared Hosting is when your web hosting space resides on a server that is shared by other people. It is most often used to host websites, and one single server can hold hundreds of websites. That may sound a lot, but it works because most of the websites don’t receive too many visitors. It’s use enough of the server’s resources to cause problems.
That’s why Shared Hosting packages tend to be cheap. Entry-level packages can start from as little as £2 – £3 a month, In fact, you can find an option for less than $1 per month in P&THosting.
Typically, a shared hosting package gives you access to a certain amount of disk space on the server, as well as a certain amount of website traffic each month. Most packages will also include lots of other features, like:
- A choice of Windows or Linux operating systems.
- A set of applications that are easy to install. For instance, tools to help you create a blog, online store or cloud computing applications.
- Scripting languages – also sometimes called programming languages – which are commonly used to create websites.
- Databases, which are a central part of many websites. Most often used to store a website’s content or customer registration details.
- Email addresses, which allow you to send and receive email. These often offer basic email features compared to a separate email service.
- An analytics package (also sometimes called ‘website statistics’), to help you understand who’s visiting your website and how they use it.
Shared hosting is generally regarded as the most basic form of web hosting. Many web hosting companies refer to their shared hosting services as ‘web hosting’.
Shared Hosting : what’s it good for?
Shared hosting is a cheap, basic service. It’s mainly good for:
- Publishing simple websites. If your company website is a simple brochure-style site, or a straightforward online shop, shared hosting should be adequate. Shop around to find reliable web hosting.
- Starting an online shop. Many shared hosting packages come with tools that make it easier to create an online shop so you can start selling online.
- Publishing a blog. Shared hosting packages are ideal if you’re starting a business blog. Most come ready-to-go with popular blogging packages so you can get set up quickly.
- Website design and development. If you’re building a new website from scratch, maybe with a web designer or developer, a shared hosting package is a good place to create and develop your site.
If you like this article and understand about What is Shared Hosting than share this article to your friends and subscribe P&THosting for weekly newsletters, upcoming offers and to get more article like this.