What is VPS Hosting : how it works, what’s it good
What is VPS Hosting ?
VPS Hosting is a mid-range type of web hosting which offers many of the features of dedicated hosting and does so at a much lower cost. However, you’ll need reasonable technical skills to use it effectively
Many businesses use VPS Hosting – it’s useful for websites which have outgrown shared hosting, or for running tools and applications that need extra space or which can’t be run in Shared Hosting due to technical restrictions.
VPS Hosting : how does it work?
VPS Hosting works a bit like Shared Hosting, in that your hosting space is on a server shared with other websites and applications. However, virtual server hosting offers more power and freedom.
This is because VPS Hosting uses a technology called virtualization to split one physical server into several virtual servers.
Each virtual server behaves like a separate physical server. This means you get more flexibility to install the software and tools you need and can scale operations without purchasing or renting additional server hardware.
VPS Hosting packages usually give you access to certain amount of disk space on the server. It offers specific volume of website traffic each month. You should also check for some other important features:
- Administrator level access. This allows you to install anything you like on the server (within reason). It can be essential if you want to run applications you’ve developed yourself on your VPS Hosting. (If you’re not sure about this, your web developer or IT supplier should be able to advise.)
- Guaranteed Resources. A good VPS Hosting will guarantee you access to a certain proportion of the main server’s computing capacity. It means other customers sharing the same hardware will have no negative effect on the performance of your hosting.
- A service level agreement (SLA). Some virtual server hosting packages include an SLA. This guarantees you a level of service, entitling you to compensation if the hosting fails to live up to what’s promised. An SLA is important if you’ll be running critical apps or websites from your virtual server hosting.
As with other web hosting services, you’ll probably get a choice of packages. Expect to pay from £15 a month for a basic package, up to £50 or more for a top end service.
Virtual server hosting should also include a good range of programming languages and pre-installed applications. Expect lots of extras when compared with shared hosting packages.
What are the benefits of VPS Hosting?
VPS hosting gives you the affordability of shared hosting while at the same time giving you more power and control like a dedicated server.
Summary of benefits of VPS:
- Cost Considerably less than a dedicated hosting plan.
- Guaranteed Performance with burstable RAM: On a VPS Server, you have dedicated amounts of RAM available to you at any time. Unlike shared hosting, there is no one else on your server that can use utilize all the RAM when you need it most!
- Control: While restarting a system during installation of server applications, the VPS server does not affect others and can be restarted at any time. One can upgrade, downgrade and update the software at their own the user has full control in VPS hosting.
- Customization: In VPS Hosting as the server partition is isolated and the data is stored in one centralized location. One can customize and configure the environment exactly the way they want.
Managed VPS vs Unmanaged VPS
VPS hosting ensures you the virtually dedicated hosting environment. However, you also hold the responsibility of server maintenance and operating system configurations. In this case, you need to choose from the options of managed VPS and the unmanaged VPS.
Managed VPS Hosting
- There is no need to for you to configure your operating system, to install control panel and to deal with some server maintenance tasks.
- The technical support is always ready for asking.
- You no longer need to worry about the security issues, for the web hosts will tackle this aspect.
- You can focus on the website running only.
However, this hosting type is costly for many common webmasters. Also, you may feel hard to use your preferred control panel or application, as they are pre-determined.
Unmanaged VPS Hosting
- You are allowed to get the full control over your server configurations.
- The hosting charge of this option is much cheaper than that of managed VPS service.
- You have the full authority on the utilization of your server resources.
If you want to learn more about this hosting type or are looking for the reliable VPS hosting providers, you can check the VPS resource site like.
If you like this article and understand about What is VPS Hosting than share this article to your friends and subscribe P&THosting for weekly newsletters, upcoming offers and to get more article like this.